THIS BLOG IS A FREE RESOURCE DEDICATED TO HELPING OTHER ARTISTS SELL, MARKET, PROMOTE & CREATE THEIR ART from The Normal Challenged Artist (aka PopArtDiva!)

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trompe l'oeil artist Julian Beever - the Pavement Picasso


Before I start painting today (YES! I have started real life painting again - check it out on The Original Art of Pop Art Diva!) I wanted to introduce you to an artist known as the Pavement Picasso, Julian Beever.

I've mentioned his work before but his talent is so great I wanted to make sure you saw his work. He is an extraordinary UK artist who does these incredible trompe l'oeil paintings on sidewalks. They are masterpieces of illusion and fantasy, viewing them takes you to another world - a world created entirely in chalk.

Because these drawings are soon eradicated by pedestrian traffic, they are temporary and interactive art. Part of the whole experience is how people react and interact with the art and the artist. The only records of these works of art are the photographs taken, the art itself slowly disappears as the world passes by.

I have to admit I hate the idea of the original works of art being destroyed. Beever's work is so tremendous you can look at it for hours. It hurts something in my artist's soul to know that they won't exist in a few days, but it may be part of the art is that knowledge of it's fleeting existence.

It makes you wonder what art is. Is it the actual work that is created, is it the creation of that work, is it the sharing of the work and creativity, or is it the thoughts and emotions that art inspires? Maybe art is all those things.

JULIAN BEEVER'S WEBSITE
What is Trompe l'oeil?

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook


---------------------------
LEARN HOW TO DO ART AND CRAFT SHOWS FOR PROFIT AND FUN STEP BY STEP
Click the links below to download my articles for a nominal fee of only $2.50 each:

What Kind of an Artist Will You Be? Define Your Product First.
Creating Your Booth - Making a Portable Gallery That Works
Preparing To Do An Art Show - Getting your art, your booth and yourself together
The Most Important Sales Techniques for Selling and Marketing Your Art

No comments: