THIS BLOG IS A FREE RESOURCE DEDICATED TO HELPING OTHER ARTISTS SELL, MARKET, PROMOTE & CREATE THEIR ART from The Normal Challenged Artist (aka PopArtDiva!)

Friday, March 21, 2008

You're an artist? Are you a Bohemian or a Beatnik?

I frequently stop by The Art Newspaper to check out what's going on in the art world outside of my little bubble. I enjoy this site because it has some good articles and you can even comment on them.

I like to read the articles themselves but the more interesting part for me is reading the comments made by other artists on a particular article. You get a clear sense that artists are just like regular people, we come from all walks of life, have varying philosophies on art and life, and we are all unique.

I wish non-artists would read some of these comments. So many people outside of the art profession have a very narrow view of artists and artist lifestyles. I've encountered a kind of prejudice more than once when I've mentioned my profession is "artist".

I have to admit, though, I am Bohemian. No, I am not a beatnik, my mother's parents were both born in Bohemia, now part of Czechoslovakia. I am Bohemian by birth, not by nature. Though I might sell more art if I wore all black, grew a goatee and started snapping my fingers.

No comments: